Get Your Dream Smile with Cosmetic Dentistry
What is a dental bridge?
If you have lost a tooth due to trauma or decay, you can replace the missing tooth with a dental bridge. A dental bridge is a false tooth (called a pontic) that is held in place by the abutment teeth on either side of the gap. Although pontics can be made from a variety of materials such as gold, typically they’re made from porcelain to aesthetically blend in with your natural teeth.
Dental bridge types
There are four main types of dental bridges:
Traditional dental bridge
Cantilever dental bridge
Maryland dental bridge
Like a traditional bridge, a Maryland bridge can only be used when you have a natural tooth on each side of the gap caused by the missing tooth or teeth.
Implant-supported dental bridge
Considered the strongest and most stable system, an implant-supported bridge commonly requires two surgeries:
• one to embed the implants in the jawbone
• a second surgery to place the bridge
It can take a number of months for the procedure to be completely finished.
What does a dental bridge cost?
There are many variables that can affect the price including:
• number of teeth needed to fill the gap
• materials used, such as composite resin, zirconia, or metal alloy covered in resin
• complexity/difficulty of the placement
• additional treatments for other dental issues, such as gum disease
• geographic location
Dental bridge vs. dental implant
Why do I need a dental bridge?
When you have a missing tooth or missing teeth, it can affect you in a number of ways. A dental bridge can address those changes, including:
• restoring your smile
• restoring the ability to properly chew
• restoring your speech and pronunciation
• maintaining the shape of your face
• re-adjusting your bite to properly distribute the force when you chew
• preventing your remaining teeth from moving out of the correct position